Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Hello campers....I want your memories...
I attended 4 h camp at Hassmer Hill 4h camp in about 1974...maybe 75. I was ten years old, and the memory of the camp has remained quite powerful over the years. I returned to Versailles, IN two years ago to find the camp only to learn that it had been demolished in the 70s, and very few residents of the area knew anything about the details or location of the camp. I grew up near New Castle, IN, and local 4h clubs from all over the state must have used the camp each summer. The cabins were very rustic...no ammenities...no luxuries, but the rural location and lack of contact with the outside made the experience very memorable. My main purpose in starting this blog is to try to gather as much information as I can from former campers. I have found very little on the internet, and it seems to me that thousands of young people must have been impacted by that camp during it's time in service. I believe it was built in the 1930s as part of a public works project and was used as a 4h camp for at least 35 years. I know my mother went to camp there in the 50s. The rafters were covered with graffiti...names and dates of past campers. It was such a shame that the buildings were all demolished. I have since located the site on a map and intend to return to walk the old camp...sans buildings, but I haven't gotten back to Indiana yet. So...any of you who have stories from Hassmer Hill 4h camp...from any year or years..please share them. I'd also like to have scans of any photos you might have...or programs from camp. The only souvenirs I have are a couple of leather circles I made in arts and crafts. I found a postcard showing the mess hall, and I will try to post that image for viewing. Please send any images or information to me at Mrmiller21@yahoo.com. Please be sure to include Hassmer Hill in the subject line so I won't delete it. I would like to compile a history with photos and make it available to anyone who might be interested. I can't be the only one who still thinks back to those days and events. Hope to hear from you soon, and please pass this link along to any of your old 4h camp friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment